Property Ownership

In Hong Kong, the ways of property ownership include sole ownership and joint ownership. 

  1. Sole Ownership

Sole ownership means a property owned by a single person only and that person is the sole owner of the property.

  1. Joint Ownership

The two most common types of joint ownership are “joint tenancy” and “tenancy-in-common”.

2.1 Joint tenancy

For a joint tenancy, all the joint tenants are treated as one s

ole owner. That means the interests or shares of ownership of the joint tenants are equal. When one of the joint tenants passes away, his/her interest will pass automatically to the surviving joint tenant who will own the whole property.

2.2 Tenancy-in-common

For tenancy-in-common, the interests of all the tenants-in-common are proportional to their respective contributions to the purchase price of the property. For instance, in a tenancy-in-common with 2 owners, the owner who contributed 75% of the purchase price would hold 3/4 share of ownership. The other owner, who contributed 25% of the purchase price, would hold 1/4 share of ownership. When one of the tenants-in-common passes away, his/her interest will become part of his/her estate (i.e. property left after a person’s death), and will be passed on according to the terms of his/her Will or the law of intestacy if there is no Will.

For any enquiries relating to Property Ownership, simply click here and contact us! 

相關文章 :

【換樓迷思】「先買後賣」VS「先賣後買」?... 在眾多購房者當中,除了剛需自住買房和投資買房,還有一群人隨着年紀增長,個人住房需求有所轉變,加上累積了一定數量的財富,所以希望能夠改善目前的...
【地產傳說】4個上不到車的謎思 買樓對於大部份香港人來說是人生大事,因此在下決定前都會額外謹慎,以防買錯貨。不過,有時候過份謹慎,可能會造成過猶不及的情況,導致遲遲未能上車...
【置業實戰】2大方案實現「一層變兩層」... 過往不少人通過買樓為自己財富增值,甚至有投資說法「本錢少更要買樓」。趁現時低息環境,加上樓價有所回落,對於想透過買樓增加財富人士,不論是上車...
【搵樓實戰】無樓睇入巿錦囊 買樓動輒要用幾百萬元,好多人總會實地視察才下決定。不過,並不是每個物業都可以睇樓,例如連租約盤,如果一定要睇樓的話選擇可能有所減少...
【買樓撻訂】唔想一鋪清袋?4個撻訂高危位要留神... 報章上撻訂的例子屢見不鮮,不少人由於缺乏置業經驗,高估了自己的經濟能力,最後臨門一腳被迫撻訂,損失數以百萬計的血汗錢。不想成為下一個受害者,...
分享: